M.S. University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS; 1999. Major: Secondary Mathematics Education
B.S. University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS; 1992. Major: Middle/Secondary Mathematics Education
Post-Graduate: 43 Graduate hours (23 in Mathematics)
Olathe East High School ; USD 233, Olathe, Kansas; Fall 2006 to Present.
Classes taught: AP Calculus BC, Honors Pre-Calculus, Applied Geometry and Algebra 1 for students in grades 10-12.
Turner High School; USD 202, Kansas City, Kansas; Fall 2000 to 2006.
Classes taught: Engineering Calculus I, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Intermediate College Algebra, Algebra 2, Honors Geometry, Algebra 1, Pre-Algebra, Intermediate Algebra/Geometry, Probability & Statistics, Applied Statistics, and Applied Math I & II for student s in grades 9-12.
Shawnee Mission USD 512; Overland Park, Kansas; Summer 2005.
Classes taught: Summer School Academy teacher for Intermediate Algebra.
Donnelly College; Kansas City, Kansas; Fall 2004 to 2006.
Adjunct Instructor through High School Partnership Program. Classes taught: Trigonometry, Engineering Calculus I, & Pre-Calculus.
Johnson Community College; Overland Park, KS; Fall 2005 to Present.
Adjunct Instructor. Classes taught: Business Calculus I, Pre-Calculus, Elementary Statistics, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Technical Mathematics I & II.
Pierson Junior High School; USD 202, Kansas City, Kansas; Fall 1994 - Spring 2000.
Classes taught: Geometry, Algebra I, Applied Math I, Transition Mathematics, and Transition Mathematics A & B for students in grades 8 and 9.
Distinctions, Honors & Awards
- We All Use Math Every Day activities writer, NUMB3RS CBS Television show, 2005-2007
- We All Use Math Every Day writing team leader 2006-2007
- State Finalist for the Presidential Math & Science Award.
- College NOW grant recipient, $4,000, classroom set of TI-Nspire CAS Graphing Calculators, 2008
- TI-Nspire Navigator pilot site, 2008-present
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers; 2004, 2005, 2006
- National Honor Roll’s Outstanding American Teachers, 2006
- Teacher of the Year, Turner High School, 2004
- National Council Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM): Illuminations Advisory Group, 2008-present; Co-Editor, Student xplorations in Mathematics , 2008-present; Reviewer for the Mathematics Teacher, 2008-present; Publicity Co-Chair, NCTM Regional Conference, 2007
- Olathe School District: Olathe East High School Mathematics Department Chair, 2008-present; AYP data analysis chair for Olathe East state assessments, 2007-present; Math Vertical Teaming member 2008-present; Math Cadre member, 2006-2007; Mathematics’ Team sponsor, 2006-present; Textbook review committee, 2006-2007
- Texas Instruments: Pilot Site Tester for the TI-Nspire Navigator, 2008-present; Teachers Teaching with Technology Regional Instructor, 2009-Present; We All Use Math Every Day activities team leader for the CBS television show “NUMB3RS,” 2006-2007; Organizer of Kansas City TI-Nspire user group, 2008-Present.
- Kansas City Area Teachers of Mathematics (KCATM): Newsletter editor, 2006-2007; Monthly Electronic Addend editor, 2006-present; Board Member, 2005-present
- Turner School District: Mathematics’ team sponsor, 2004 – 2006; Coordinator for Glencoe Geometry and Algebra 2 textbook study, 2005-2006;North Central Accreditation & Quality Performance Accreditation Problem Solving Chair, 1996 - 2001;Developed Curriculum for Applied Statistics (new course), 2003; Mathematics' team sponsor, 2004 - 2006; Turner School District Site Council member, 1997 - 2001 (Secretary 1998 - 2000); Treasurer for Kansas National Educational Association-Turner, 2001 - 2006; Computer club sponsor, 1995 - 2000; Track coach, 1995 - 2006 (head junior high, 1995 - 2001); Assistant Cross Country coach, 1997 - 2001.
- Technology Co-Chair for the Science & Mathematics: Assessment, Research and Technology Together (SMARTT) Conference, 2008; Mathematics' curriculum review, textbook adoption committee, 1996
- Kauffman Job-A-Like’s member, 2006-present
- Staff Member for Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS) Bio-Math Connect Institute, 2005
- We All Use Math Every Day: Mathematical Activities to Accompany the CBS Television Show, NUMB3RS, Texas Instruments, 2005-2008
- Student Math Explorations , National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2008-present
- “Finding the Limits of Pi,” TI-Nspiring Times Newsletter, Texas Instruments. Spring, 2009
- Getting Started with TI-Nspire, Mathematical Activities for the TI-Nspire Graphing Calculator, Texas Instruments, 2007-2008
- Published weekly TI-84 graphing calculator activities, TImath.com web site, 2008-present
- “Compound Interest: Predicting Your Financial Future,” Illuminations activity, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2008
- “Are you a Man or an Inverted Mouse? – Exploring Genetic Inversion,” Erickson, Fleetwood, Flynn, Van Gorden; Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications (COMAP); 2007
- Blending Assessment With Instruction Program (BAIP), Lessons created to help Kansas Teachers with the State Standards, Center for Educational Testing and Evaluation, 2006
- “Activities by the NUMB3RS,” St. Louis Confluence, 2006.
- “Modular Origami in the Mathematics Classroom,” Proceedings of the 2004 Bridges Conference on Mathematical Connections in Art, Music, and Science; Edited by Reza Sarhangi; 2004
Presentations & Conferences
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) National Conference Presenter: “Integrating Mathematics & Art- A Model for Equity,” 2009; “Decrypting Cryptography: Mathematical Espionage for Student Success,” 2008; “NUMB3RS in the Classroom,” 2008; “NUMB3RS in the Classroom,” 2007; “Modular Origami in the Classroom: Models for Student’s Enrichment,” 2006
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Regional Conference Presenter: “Numb3rs in the Classroom,” 2007; “Utilizing the Computer to Facilitate Assessment,” 2006; “Integrating Biology and Mathematics,” 2006; “Digital Imaging in the Classroom,” 2005; “Modular Origami in the Mathematics Classroom,” 2005
- Teachers Teaching with Technology (T^3) Regional Conference Presenter: “Become Nspired to Use TI-Nspire in your Classroom,” 2008; “Using the TI-Nspire in the Pre-Calculus Classroom,” 2008
- Teachers Teaching with Technology (T^3) International Conference Presenter: “N-Spiring to Do Numb3rs,” 2008; “Using Numb3rs in the Classroom With Cabri Junior,” 2007
- Kansas City Area Teachers of Mathematics (KCATM) Conference Presenter: “How to Effectively Use the TI-Nspire in the Classroom,” 2008; “Nspiring to DoNUMB3RS in the Classroom,” 2008; “NUMB3RS in the Classroom,” 2007; “Utilizing the Computer to Facilitate Assessment,” 2006
- Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics (KATM) Conference Presenter: “Assessment Driven Instruction,” 2005; “Modular Origami in the Mathematics Classroom,” 2004; “Digital Imaging in the Classroom – A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words,” 2004; "Modeling forest fires with digital imaging to record & analyze the results,: 2003.
- Olathe USD 233 Inservice Presenter:"How to Effectively Use the TI-Nspire," 2009; "Organizing Your KS Assessment Data," 2009; “Using the TI-Nspire Graphing Calculator,” 2008; “Numb3rs in the Classroom,” 2007
- Johnson County Community College Adjunct In-service Presenter: "Using the TI-Nspire in Math 116," 2009; “How to Use the Dynamic Representations of the TI-Nspire in Class Instruction,” 2008; “The New TI-Nspire,” 2007; “Using TI-Smart View and Design Science Autograph Software,” 2006
- Kauffman LIN Group Presenter: “Using Numb3rs in the Classroom to Increase Student Interest,” 2007; “Using Autograph Software in the Classroom,” 2008
- Kauffman Summer LIN Conference Presenter: "Increase Student Learning by Utilizing Technology in the Classroom," 2009.
- Sonia Kovalevsky Mathematics Day Presenter: “Introduction to TI-Nspire,” 2009; “Using Numb3rs in your Classroom,” 2008
- Kansas City Regional Mathematics Technology EXPO Presenter: "Leting TI-Nspire Navigator Set you Free," 2009; “Using the TI-Nspire,” 2008; “Utilizing the West Point Bridge Competition,” 2005
- Olathe School District Summer Conference Presenter: "Introduction to using the TI-Nspire," 2009; "Advanced uses of the TI-Nspire," 2009; “Enhance Your Classroom with Autograph software,” 2008; "Introduction to the TI-Nspire", 2008; "Using Excel to Crunch Your Data," 2008
- SMARTT Conference presenter: “Become Nspired to Use TI-Nspire in Your Classroom,” 2008; “Using the TI-Nspire in the Pre-Calculus Classroom,” 2008
- Additional Conference Presenter: “All About NUMB3RS,” Lansing Community College, 2007; “NUMB3RS and the Challenge of Changing Public Perception of Mathematics,” American Association for the Advancement of Science Annual Meeting (AAAS), 2006; “Modular Origami in the Mathematics Classroom,” Bridges Conference on Mathematical Connections in Art, Music, and Science, 2004; “Using Microsoft Outlook for Educators,” Turner USD 202, 2004
- “The Mathematics Crisis,” Walt Bodine Radio Show; January, 2007
- "Using the TI-83 plus Graphing Calculator Effectively in the Classroom," Turner High School Mathematics Teachers, 2001.
- "Graphing Calculator Use in the Classroom," Turner School District, April, 2003.
- "Using Microsoft Access to track student behavior & achievement," Turner School District, February, 1996.
- "Internet Use in the Classroom," Turner School District, February, 1996.
- “Using Entertainment’s Influence to Show Students How Math Matters Every Day,” Scholastic Administrator web cast, 2006
- Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science Conference on Linking Mathematics and Biology in the High Schools Participant, 2005
- AP Institute participant, Olathe, KS, 2007
- Nationally selected to three different Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science Summer Mathematics Workshops in conjunction with: AT&T Labs (Bell Labs), NEC Research, and the National Science Foundation at Rutgers University, New Jersey.
- Computational Biology/Bioinformatics, 2004
- Graph Theory and its Applications Part II , 2003 (Produced math Research here.)
- Graph Theory and its Applications Part I , 2002. (Produced math Research here.)
- Selected to five different Kansas Summer Mathematics Workshops in conjunction with the University of Kansas and the National Science Foundation.
- Doing Math/ Teaching Math: New Perspectives for the High School Classroom, 2002
- Statistical Analysis, 1999
- Data Analysis, 1998
- Statistics & Geometry, 1996
- Probability & Algebra, 1995
- Teachers Teaching with Technology workshop for the TI-Nspire graphing calculator, Blue Valley North High School, September, 2007.
- Received training from the Center for Performance Assessment in developing Power Standards for Turner High School, Turner School District, February, 2004.
- Selected to the team that represented Turner High School at the High Schools That Work Conference; Washington, D.C., August, 2000.
- Received training from a nationally trained presenter in the use of Career and Occupational Research Development (CORD) Applied Mathematics' Program for module teaching with challenged mathematical students, Hays, KS, Fall, 1996.
- Selected to a Kansas Summer Mathematics Workshop held in conjunction with Emporia State University. Inquiry-Based Mathematics Using Digital Imaging, 2002.
- Trained in Fred Jones Positive Classroom Discipline, Turner School District, August, 1996.
- Selected to a NASA workshop for Mathematics & Science Teachers at Mid-America Nazarene University, February, 2002
- NCTM - National Council Teachers of Mathematics
- KATM - Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics
- KCATM - Kansas City Area Teachers of Mathematics
- NEA – National Education Association and Affiliates: KNEA, ONEA