Written By: fpc Date posted: 06/10/2008
Cafe 233 is building a healthier student body through school nutrition!
Café 233 strives to create healthy lunches that are popular with students.
Important facts about our lunch menus:
- Each meal contains fruits and vegetables, whole grains, meat/meat alternative and low fat dairy
- Fruits and vegetables are served daily. A variety of dark green, red/orange, beans and peas (legumes) are offered throughout the week.
- Calories, Saturated Fat and Sodium are monitored weekly
- All items served are Trans Fat free
- Age appropriate serving sizes are offered
- Desserts are considered a treat and offered no more than twice a week
- Some items may appear to be ‘unhealthy’ but are actually baked rather than fried, nutrient enriched and made with low fat, low sugar and/or low sodium ingredients
- Student Advisory Council tests new items for kids approval
Food Allergies, Intolerance and Disabilities
- Will, at all times, make meal modifications prescribed by a licensed physician to accommodate a disability.
- Will, at its discretion, make meal modifications prescribed by a licensed physician due to a food allergy/intolerance or other medical condition that does not rise to the level of a disability. Please contact us to discuss modification possibilities.
- Will not make substitutions for fluid cow’s milk due to a food allergy/intolerance. Students are offered one juice and can pay a la carte price for a second juice.
Cafe 233 must receive the Medical Statement above before the school can modify your student’s meals.
Please follow the Medical Statement instructions carefully for each meal category. Each section needs to be filled out in its entirety and the physician’s signature is required before modifications can be started.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Jami Soukup, RD, LD, SNS. Otherwise, please return the completed medical statement to:
Food Production Center
Attn: Jami Soukup
14140 BlackBob Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Fax # 913-780-8144
After receiving your forms, you will be contacted to discuss logistics of starting the special diet.
Gluten Free Menus:
Due to the large number of severe nut allergies in our district, Cafe 233 produces school meals as nut free as possible. Nut products are avoided in any produced item at the Food Production Center made for school meals. There are nut products in the building for use in the catering department. These items are prepared on separate tables from where school items are produced, and thorough sanitation procedures are enforced.
Cafe 233 checks all ingredient labels of purchased items for the elementary meals to ensure, to the best of our ability, they do not contain nut ingredients or processed in a plant that manufactures peanut products. However, there are pre-packaged products that contain nuts in the secondary snack/a la carte options, as well as a pre-packaged Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich entree option on the Cafe Combo (A Line) Meal.
Students who can not consume milk may receive a juice as an alternate choice with the Milk Program and the district will cover the additional costs. Please check with your school if your child has a milk intolerance or allergy.
*Please submit any questions or concerns that you have on our website, or contact:
Jami Soukup, RD, LD, SNS